Error – Unable to connect to Solr in Sitecore 8

This is my learning for today & I thought to share this as a blog post.
Today while I was trying to setup Solr for Sitecore 8.0 Update 1, I was getting the following error :

2015-11-10_2331


I was following the instructions described here to setup Solr & performing all steps, as soon as I hit the Sitecore I got the above error.

I quickly googled to find the solution & one of them looked life savior.

This solution basically talks about adding the Solr cores for all defined indexes.

This solution was not helpful in my case as I had disabled all lucene & solr config files except :
Sitecore.ContentSearch.Solr.Index.DefaultConfiguration.configSitecore.ContentSearch.Solr..Index.Master.config files.

Which means I only had the master index & I’ve already defined the core setup the Solr core for this.
Next thing I checked was the name of the core in Sitecore.ContentSearch.Solr..Index.Master.config file.
By default the core parameter used the index’s id attribute:

2015-11-10_2354

This was not the name of the Solr core I defined, so I updated the id attribute to match with the name of the Solr core.
This issue still exist  & after wasting couple of hours I realized that I was adding a forward slash while performing the step 11 of the configuring setup.

<setting name="ContentSearch.Solr.ServiceBaseAddress" value="http://127.0.0.1:8080/solr/" />

I removed that forward slash & it worked as charm for me:

<setting name="ContentSearch.Solr.ServiceBaseAddress" value="http://127.0.0.1:8080/solr" />

Yes it was a silly thing & wasted couple of hours of mine.
Hope this will save some time of yours.